Household Products Can Harm You

Household Products Can Harm You

You may have products in your home that can make a poisonous gas if mixed with other products, cause blindness if swallowed, or eat away skin and eyes.

How can you identify these harmful products? Read the label. Products may be:

TOXIC

Safer Products

Can cause short or long-term illness. Pesticides, paint thinners, many automotive products and some cleaners are toxic. The label could say: Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Use only in a well-ventilated area.

FLAMMABLE

Flammable

Burns easily. Paint, automotive products, thinners and other solvents are the most flammable household products. The label could say: Combustible. Flammable. Do not use near heat or flame. Do not smoke while using this product.

CORROSIVE

corrosive

Can burn skin, clothing or other materials. Oven, drain and toilet bowl cleaners are common corrosive products. The label could say: Causes severe burns on contact. Can burn eyes, skin or throat.

REACTIVE

reactive

Could create a poison gas when mixed with other products. Chlorine bleach reacts with many other common cleaners. Household products should never be mixed. The label could say: Do not mix with other household products.

IRRITANT

Irritant

Not corrosive, but could irritate skin or eyes.

STRONG SENSITIZER

You may become more sensitive (e.g. rash or breathing problems) after you are exposed two or more times.

Our mission is to inspire stewardship of our natural resources by creating educational opportunities and lasting community infrastructure in Leadville and Lake County, Colorado.